Re: lynx-dev LYNX: hey, guys: Just what are we gonna *DO*?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: hey, guys: Just what are we gonna *DO*?
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 07:16:54 -0400

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 02:13:49PM +0500, Vlad Harchev wrote:
>  I don't try textmode browsers personally then - switch to using mozilla.
>  But if you are limited to textmode only - try links version 2 (sometimes it's
> called elinks) - it supports simple javascript..

very simple (what I would call trivial).  I'm amused by the webpage at

http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links/

which advertises the following design defects as if they were either (a)
applicable to elinks, or (b) desirable features:

        (a) excellent hardware independence

        (b) unprecedented visual experience

        (b) reliable monolithic design

But seriously, it appears that the only reason for that javascript support
is to say that (like netrik) that they support it.  About as true a statement
as the comment in the links manpage that says it uses ncurses (if it uses
gpm, gpm may in turn have an unrelated linkage to ncurses: links does not
use ncurses).  Read the javascript.y and javascr.l in links' source to see
what I'm talking about: a random collection of ad hoc special cases to
pick (as has been suggested several times here) URLs out of the file, but
which mainly consists of debug-statements and commented-out code.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net