Re: Attn: Tom Dickey Re: lynx-dev superscript bugs

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: Attn: Tom Dickey Re: lynx-dev superscript bugs
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 07:26:59 -0400

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 03:44:54AM -0700, Steve White wrote:
> I have modified the file 'src/chrtrans/def7_uni.tbl' so that the
> names of Greek SGML entities (such as 'alpha") will be displayed
> rather than Roman transliterations ( 'a' for alpha ).
>
> I will post the file to the group presently.  Please let me know if
> there are any problems with including these changes in the next release.

unless there's serious disagreement (technical issues) from the other
people on the mailing list, I tend to put changes in (unless I find it
doesn't work properly).  No one's commented, so I'd give a qualified
yes.

> Note especially U+0391 through U+03c9.
>
> Remember, the argument is that no Web page author is going to put
> the SGML entity 'α' into their page, and approve of it being
> rendered as 'a'.  They always mean for the Greek letter to be distinct
> from the Roman one.  So it's better to display the name of the Greek
> letter than a transliteration to a Roman letter.

Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net