Re: lynx-dev alternatives to Lynx (was too long)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev alternatives to Lynx (was too long)
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 01:23:52 -0400

020810 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> none of IE/NS/Opera was able to navigate to a download URL
> for a patch that one of the Linux i18n groups had for xterm.
> I used lynx for that and experimented with w3m/links,
> but they didn't get as far as Opera - ugly site, I admit.
> It was on li18nux.org, in April.  It uses frames a lot -
> & IE/NS/Opera could only go around in circles, never showing my goal.

Opera 6.02 : no problem with  w.l.o/subgroups/  & its  3  subdirs.
Konqueror 2.2.2 : ditto.
Linux 2-8-5dev6 : initial problem: 'download' is hidden by a 'jpg';
  further obstructions due to frames & tables (negotiable);
  Japanese sub-site doesn't display, as it contains both languages
  (i would have to 'download' it or reconfigure Lynx:
  Opera shows Japanese nicely, Konqueror adequately).
NB all this is with Opera 6 : Opera 5 had many deficiencies.

i have just been using Lynx to browse & grab articles
from Linux Journal/Magazine/Gazette, for which it is excellent,
provided you remember to do  \  to get the source first ... (ouch!)