Re: lynx-dev Display of SGML Greek characters

From: Steve White
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Display of SGML Greek characters
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:03:59 -0700

David,

The passage (below) means that the user agent may obtain a correct
display for SGML Math characters by whatever means is appropriate.
It makes it very clear that supporting them through ISO10646 is
NOT the only possibility.  Given this statement, the comments in the
DTDs are to be taken as *suggested* mappings.

Your argument is academic, anyway.  Does the user care how the display
is obtained, so long as it is correct?  To developers, neater code is
better, but if you can't have neat, you go for correct.

The current handling of SGML Greek mathematical entities by Lynx is
incorrect, because it negates the stated purpose of those entities.

I think I have arrived at a solution, which involves mapping the
SGML Greek mathematical entities to a different range.  I'll post
it in a moment.  Have a look!

Cheers!

On Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:32:39 +0100 (BST)
David Woolley <address@hidden> wrote