Re: lynx-dev LYNX: hey, guys: Just what are we gonna *DO*?

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: hey, guys: Just what are we gonna *DO*?
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:50:22 +0900 (JST)

>       I think that lynx is absolutely great except for the
> javascript problem.  Probably the best thing that can happen is
> to find or build a proxy engine to digest all the incompatible
> script.  The newer browsers such as netrik and links are way
> behind lynx in diagnostic output and general features such as the
> ability to save a page in a text file, etc.
>
>       It seems wasteful to me to have to start from scratch

My sentiments exactly.

>       I guess one would need to run apache or some other web
> server and then have the proxy engine able to take any url you
> give to it and then it makes a http connection to that site and
> turns what scripting code it can in to valid html and vise versa.

You would not need "to run apache or some other web server."  I suppose
you would need a javascript interpreter and then some editor that would
create an html page based on the javascript logic that would offer choices
to the user in the form of commented links (one for each possible
command or option?).  I've always thought Tom Zerucha's proxies were
pretty amazing, if you'd like to see proxies designed with Lynx in mind.
You can still view them at:
    http://www.mich.com/~thomas/ftp/

What ever happened to the _team_ of guys working on javascript support
for Lynx?

__Henry