Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.4rel1 on HP-UX 11i.

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.4rel1 on HP-UX 11i.
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 19:07:09 -0400

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 06:23:57PM -0400, Arne Sagnes wrote:
>   Thanks to everyone that helped out.  We've been scratching our heads
> for some time on this problem, and we're still baffled as to why it
> happens.  We've determined that executing a new shell by logging in or
> su'ing alleviates the problem.  This makes sense, since you're actually

something to do with establishing a new controlling terminal perhaps.
Did you factor out the stty commands that often are in one's initialization
file?

> starting a new session, but it's not a solution to our problem.  We
> were, however, able to use Links successfully.  As of now, we've no clue
> why Lynx exhibits this problem and Links does not.  It may have

Links doesn't use curses - one difference.  Just for comparison, you might
try the slang configuration of lynx (I'm curious, though I'm not known to
recommend it ;-)

I don't see setsid or similar functions in links that would indicate it's
doing anything special to establish a new controlling terminal, etc.

> something to do with Lynx using fgets() and Links using read(), but
> that's just a guess.

maybe - but the symbol table of links says it uses stdio.  So it doesn't
seem so simple.

>   It seems obvious that Lynx does not like whatever our main application
> does to file descriptors (stdin, stdout, etc).  Since we've no clue, nor
> the time to really dig into this, we're forced to switch to Links.
> Thanks again to everyone who helped us out.  The discussion has been
> most enlightening.

well, it's been interesting...

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>