Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.4rel1 on HP-UX 11i.

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.4rel1 on HP-UX 11i.
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 10:22:17 -0400

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 06:09:13AM -0700, Bela Lubkin wrote:
> Thomas Dickey wrote:
>
> >        Commenting on a different platform a few years ago, (SCO) Bela
> >        Lubkin told me that some analogous problems were due to /dev/tty
> >        being "really" the same stream which was duplicated.  So I'm
> >        guessing that HP's runtime is confused about what the actual modes
> >        of the input and output really are.
>
> I have been invoked!  ;-}
>
> I've been reading lynx-dev only intermittently for the last couple of
> years, but have been watching it fairly closely for a couple of weeks
> (no particular reason).
>
> Anyway, I don't remember the specific case you're referring to, but I
> can think of other things for Arne to try.

It was when I was porting vile:
 (tom) 991019 (x)
        + change tttypahead() to use catnap() in preference to ioctl(FIONREAD),
          since SCO OpenServer's FIONREAD can be used only for sockets (says
          Bela Lubkin), while select and poll are a little more flexible.  This
          makes cursor keys work with the terminfo version.

> The main one that comes to mind is: see what happens if a pty-using
> program is interjected between the Sybase calling program and Lynx.  I
> mean something like `script`.  Arne mentioned having Sybase start a
> shell, then manually running Lynx from that shell, and having the same
> bad behavior.  So the test would be: have Sybase start a shell; run
> script in that shell; run Lynx inside script.
>
> This is intended to separate the problem into something at the terminal
> end (like having been programmed to the wrong keypad mode) vs. something
> inside the kernel (like the tty being in a crazy state).  It does not
> perfectly accomplish this, because if the tty's in a crazy state it will
> probably also affect a pty running on it.  Still, I think something
> interesting might be learned.

There seem to be two problems - the keypad mode I could probably advise him,
given a typescript from running the two programs.  The other sounds like
a tty state issue, though not so simple as in vile, since otherwise lynx's
cursor keys would not work at all.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net