Re: lynx-dev LYNX: hey, guys: Just what are we gonna *DO*?

From: Duncan Simpson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: hey, guys: Just what are we gonna *DO*?
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:17:36 +0100

> In a recent note, Ian Collier said:

<request for a button to submit a form without a sbumit button snipped>

> Unfortunately, one consequence of this would likely be that webmasters
> imprudently relying on client-side verification would observe an
> unusually high incidence of invalid submitted data from Lynx, and be
> likely to discriminate even further against Lynx.

...if so, then these webmasters need to learn something about security.
Crackers will submit arbitary form data, including things not the list given a
selection box, if it helps them penetrate a system. Client side verification
might help users to some extent but is not a sibstitute for rigours servers
side verification. Besides there are bugs in java script and other browsers
that do not support javascript.

--
Duncan (-:
"software industry, the: unique industry where selling substandard goods is