Re: lynx-dev very long <title>; can we not overwrite or change ";" to "(

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev very long <title>; can we not overwrite or change ";" to "(" ?
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 04:53:23 -0400

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 01:49:23PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> It really bugs me that I have to advertise "Microsoft Internet Explorer"
> in the title bar to everyone who accesses my pages with MSIE.  The only
> work around I know of is to make a very long <title> to push the M$
> insert off the screen.  When you access a document with such a long
> <title> in Lynx, the left parenthesis around the page indicator is over-
> written with a ";", i.e., you get ";p1 of 2)" rather than "(p1 of 2)."
>
> I looked around in lynx.po for a possible way to personalize my Lynx to
> not do this, but I couldn't find anything off hand.  Is that ";" hard-
> coded somewhere (and if so where)?
>
> If other people are interested in a "fix," I can think of at least two
> ways to go.  I like 1. better since it seems a little more universal.
>    1.) change the code so that a character is not overwritten with ";" but
>        rather prefix the character inserted by Lynx on the right with "; ".
>        The right side of Lynx's title bar would look like: "; (pN of N)".
>    2.) simply replace ";" with "("; and get "(pN of N)".  But of course
>        there might be situations where you don't want "(".

Reading the code (src/GridText.c, display_title()), I only see it doing
a truncation of the title string based on its length.  If your title contains
non-ASCII text, it may therefore split one of the multibyte characters.
I don't see an explicit ';', so it's possible that is just trash from an
incomplete character.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net