Re: lynx-dev Display of SGML Greek Math entities -- solution

From: Steve White
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Display of SGML Greek Math entities -- solution
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 23:05:17 -0700

Henry,

I have a question for you; it's at the end of this posting.

>I asked people publically to not disturb the list with comments that I
>have made not directly related to Lynx.  The content of your post is not
>*directly* related to Lynx.  Please respect my request.  Thank you.

Dude, I am trying to verify that my alterations to lynx don't affect
viewing *your* euc-jp web pages (and others like them) in multibyte
environments.

Seems pretty lynx-related to me.

Relax.

>You complain that Lynx does not support Unicode.

I did not say that Lynx does not support Unicode.

In my posting "Display of SGML Greek characters" on 8/11/02, I said
the character translation tables (and entity.h) don't seem to support unicode
above U+FFFF.  If I'm wrong about this, please explain how
it is meant to work.

>You should be using UTF-8.

EUC-JP pages really *should* display properly in all three environments
kterm, rxvt, and xterm.  It appears that the problem lies in lynx.
Some of us do care about this; you don't have to.

>You quote Jungshik below.  He is telling you in very precise English,
>much better than mine, how to do it.  Please follow his instructions.

My understanding of Jungshik's posting of Mon, 9/19/02 13:00:01 -0400
(EDT) is that he doesn't think the current version of lynx could
display your pages as your image files show.  My experiments confirm
that assessment.

It would be very helpful to me if you would ask your sysadmin how
this is occurring.  I wonder if somebody has hacked something into
the lynx code.  Or maybe it's just a setting I've missed, but
Jungshik doesn't seem to thing so.  Or maybe your sysadmin is using
a fancy trick!  Please let us know.

Thanks in advance!