Re: lynx-dev Re: Trying to run cmd_script via cron

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Trying to run cmd_script via cron
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 07:36:58 -0400

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 07:07:14AM -0400, Webmaster Jim wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 04:25:29PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > > I have been able to run lynx with a cmd_script in the past, but am
> > > getting core dumps on the latest version. This is compiled on NetBSD
> > > with --enable-nls and --enable-debug. [...]
> > is that ncurses, or some other flavor?  I've only tried the cron stuff on
> > Linux, though this should be portable.  Running in cron, you don't have
> > a /dev/tty, so things that try to set terminal modes will fail.
>
> My latest NetBSD build uses natives curses.  I believe the older build
> where this worked was with ncurses.  It's not good that it core dumps
> instead of giving useful diagnostics.

True.  But the information that I was able to glean from the report is
that it's breaking inside initscr(), and using libcurses.so.3

If the library name reminded me of ncurses, then that would be something
for me to investigate over in ncurses.  Lynx is probably doing the right
thing (and when I check on it, it's likely that I'll look first at the
lynx+ncurses build ;-).

However it is possible (noting the recent issue with our assumption that
newterm is present) for there to be a bug in lynx.  But even for that case, I'm
debugging the change against other libraries (bsd 4.3 and 4.4 curses) first.

Is your lynx configuration set to make core dumps, or is this a case where
lynx's signal handler hasn't been established yet?

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net