Re: lynx-dev OK "lynx -v"; ERROR: "lynx -v > foo.out"; WHY?

From: Ian Collier
Subject: Re: lynx-dev OK "lynx -v"; ERROR: "lynx -v > foo.out"; WHY?
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 10:51:36 +0100

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 03:26:09AM -0400, David Combs wrote:
> When I'm just sitting around, not within any
> program, and I do
>       lynx -v
>
> , all kinds of stuff types out about
> the version it came from, etc.
>
> HOWEVER!!!, if I simply add a "> foo"
> or even ">! foo" (tcsh),
> I get this very-strange (to me) error msg:
>
>    lynx: Invalid Option: -v
>
> To me, *very* confusing!

Did you look at the file "foo" to see what was in it?

If you look closely when you type "lynx -v" you'll probably see "lynx:
Invalid Option: -v" right at the top of the help message.  [I'm using
Lynx 2.8.4 here and "lynx -v" doesn't give me version info - only the
long list of options.]  All that happened when you redirected it into
a file was that the warning message didn't get redirected but the list
of options did.  (You can redirect both at once using the >& operator
in your shell.)

In the help message, you'll probably also see that the official way to
display the help message is to type "lynx -help" (and "lynx -version"
for version info), and if you do that then you won't get the error
message.

imc