Re: lynx-dev -anonymous broken in 2.8.4?

From: Jeff Long
Subject: Re: lynx-dev -anonymous broken in 2.8.4?
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 15:56:43 -0500

RobertM wrote:
Greetings,

It is alleged that Jeff Long once typed:

It seems to me that -anonymous is pretty messed up in 2.8.4 when compared to 2.8.3. For example, when -anonymous is used in 2.8.4 I can:

1) Go to a served file: URL which then can get me into DirEd which then gets me /etc/passwd 2) Use ! to spawn my shell (which isn't a big deal when the shell is a script that starts lynx)
3) I can save options to a .lynxrc file
4) I can save a file to disk (e.g. using the d key)

All of these can be enabled or not for anonymous at compile time.
and perhaps some other things I missed. Perhaps this is the way it is supposed to work...

I suspect this is due to the options set in the copy of lynx you're
using. The anonymous lynx client at lynx.scramworks.net certainly
won'tlet you do those things, it's running 2.8.4rel.1.
However I did go through the options very very carefully.

Well, I thought I had also gone through them carefully (in both userdefs.h and lynx.cfg). I do not see any settings in them for #2.

For #1 I have CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_FILE set to FALSE but it appears that -anonymous causes the file_url restriction to be turned off thus allowing the file: to work.

For #3 I cannot find any lynxrc/options settings that apply when -anonymous is used in userdefs.h/lynx.cfg.

Same for #4. None of the lynx.cfg/userdefs.h settings seem to apply to downloading to disk when -anonymous is used.

My userdefs.h and lynx.cfg are virtually identical between 2.8.3 and 2.8.4 which is why I'm a bit confused.

Jeff