Re: lynx-dev -anonymous broken in 2.8.4?

From: RobertM
Subject: Re: lynx-dev -anonymous broken in 2.8.4?
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 23:33:16 +0100 (BST)

Greetings,

It is alleged that Thomas Dickey once typed:
> On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 11:10:30PM +0100, RobertM wrote:
> > Mea Culpa,
> no - c'est moi...
> > However when lynx is being used by a specific anonymous user you can
> > edit many of these things by:
> >
> > KEYMAP:!:DO_NOTHING             # Spawn default shell
> > KEYMAP:d:DO_NOTHING             # Download current link
> true.   I haven't seen much response for a while regarding this type of
> configuration (but did get some inquiries recently).

And of course you can specify extra restrictions using the
-restrictions switch for these two:
shell and disk_save and possibly also download

> > I think I fixed this by both making the file non writable, as well as
> > editing LYOptions.c to not even give the anonymous user the option.
> it would be nice to make it automatic.  I see this is a change between
> 2.8.3 and 2.8.4 which was overlooked.

It can in the meantime also be handled by the restriction option_save

> > > For #1 I have CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_FILE set to FALSE but it appears that
> > > -anonymous causes the file_url restriction to be turned off thus
> > > allowing the file: to work.
> > Hmm, you're right it is allowed when going by a link. This is most
> > bad.
> 2.8.3 allows me to do this, too.

I don't have a copy of 2.8.3 to hand at the moment to check, however
from the pointof view of someone running a public anonymous lynx
client this gave me a bit of a scare. However once again restrictions
save the day:
file_url

[snip]
> > Many apologies, you do seem to be correct on all counts.
> but is the behavior different between 2.8.3 and 2.8.4?  A quick check of
> the 2.8.3 in my /usr/bin seems to behave the same way (aside from allowing
> a save of the .lynxrc file).

That I'm not so sure about.

However wouldit be possible rather than adding all of these as
anonymous options to have a compile type option of something like:
ANONYMOUS_RESTRICTIONS=
Which could then be followed by a list of valid restriction options,
so that all options specified there are automatically restricted as if
specified on the command line.

e.g. specifying at compile time:
ANONYMOUS_RESTRICTIONS="file_url,download,lynxcfg_info"
would cause running "lynx -anonymous" to have the same effect as
running:
lynx -restrictions=file_url,download,lynxcfg_info -anonymous

This would seem to me to allow far more flexibility with out adding
huge numbers of options, the default would be to leave blank.

--
Robm
873