Re: lynx-dev -anonymous broken in 2.8.4?

From: RobertM
Subject: Re: lynx-dev -anonymous broken in 2.8.4?
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 01:03:35 +0100 (BST)

It is alleged that Thomas Dickey once typed:
> On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 04:30:35PM -0700, Bela Lubkin wrote:
[snip]
> > Ideally we would have:
> >
> >   - ability to compile "-restrictions"-controllable functions right out
> >     of the program (configure/compile options), to reduce the chance
> >     that a tricky user might figure out how to get around runtime
> >     restrictions.  This currently exists in ad-hoc fashion for many, but
> >     I think not all, of the restrictable functions.
> well, as I understood the request, it would allow the person compiling lynx
> to specify any combination of the restrictions that are currently compiled in.

That's certainly what I meant.

> Looking at the table in LYUtils.c for restrictions, it appears that about 2/3
> of the entries have corresponding definitions in userdefs.h right now.  Making

That looks about right yes, being able to control the other 1/3 would
be ever so nice. As from an anonymous client point of view some of the
missing ones are rather important, e.g. suspend, shell, file_url etc.

> it consistent, all of those would be settable from the configure script,
> since the obvious way to implement the configure script's checks for available
> options would be to use the "CAN_ANONYMOUS_" names defined in userdefs.h.

For myself I don't much mind if it's scripted, alonglist of
"CAN_ANONYMOUS_" or a LYNX_RESTRICTIONs thing, whichever's easiest to
do really.

[snip]

--
Robm