Re: lynx-dev -anonymous broken in 2.8.4?

From: RobertM
Subject: Re: lynx-dev -anonymous broken in 2.8.4?
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 08:32:12 +0100 (BST)

It is alleged that Henry Nelson once typed:
> > missing ones are rather important, e.g. suspend, shell, file_url etc.
> NEVER give a shell environment of ANY kind to an anonymous user of Lynx.

I don't, however if you wanted to have some sort of menu driven unix
shell for users, anonymous or otherwise, it would be useful to prevent
them gaining a shell via lynx. Besides which I sort of like the belt
and braces approach, just in case someone clever finds a way to get
lynx to spawn somethign specific, I'd rather the option just wasn't
there.

> An attempt by an anonymous user to suspend or go to shell should kick
> the user off of the system (end the telnet session).  It's been a while,

I disagree, lynx should just ignore requests to suspend or go to
shell as, especially for people not used to lynx and text based
programs, it can be quite easy to mistype /* especially on a slow
link */

> but I don't remember Lynx even honoring "!" by the anonymous user other
> than to say SPAWNING_DISABLED.

Just tested this, and with -anonymous lynx will still quite happily
spawn a shell. /* 2.8.4 */

--
Robm
873