Re: lynx-dev Lynx vs. color-pairs?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx vs. color-pairs?
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 18:31:02 -0400

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 02:40:20PM -0700, Bela Lubkin wrote:
> Thomas Dickey wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 08:00:29PM -0700, Bela Lubkin wrote:
> > > I'm trying to understand some odd Lynx output with SCO OpenServer curses
> > > and the "ansi" terminfo entry.  The entry reads:
> > >
> > > =============================================================================
> > > # Reconstructed via infocmp from file: /usr/lib/terminfo/a/ansi
> > > ansi|ansic|ansi-437|ansi80x25|Ansi standard console,
> > >   am, bce, eo, xon,
> > >   colors#8, cols#80, it#8, lines#25, pairs#64,
> > >   op=\E[37;40m, rev=\E[7m, ri=\E[T, rmacs=\E[10m,
> > >   rmso=\E[m, rmul=\E[m, setb=\E[4%p1%dm,
> > >   setf=\E[3%p1%dm, sgr0=\E[10;0m, smacs=\E[12m,
> > >   smso=\E[7m, smul=\E[4m,
> > > =============================================================================

another thing happened to occur to me.  Reading the terminfo description, I see
that it resets colors to white-on-black.  When lynx is running, have you set it
to use that scheme, or black text on a white background?  I'm used to the
latter, and of course would notice immediately if I run lynx with a white
background on a terminal which has a black.  (It happens that the stuff I'm
working on now does this, to keep the unrelated traces to a minimum).

The 9th color pair happens to be the one used for the background painting.
If you chose to modify lynx so it used the terminal's default color (pair 0),
then it should be relatively simple to implement, and could be excluded from
the wbkgd behavior without too much trouble.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net