Re: lynx-dev Spawning an external curses-based program

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Spawning an external curses-based program
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 20:22:13 -0400

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 04:45:56PM -0700, Umar Qureshey wrote:
> I am running lynx on an embedded system with a small lcd.  I ran some

Perhaps there is a permissions problem (or other conflict) in reopening
the output device.   Have you tried other combinations of spawning a
subprocess?  The test/ncurses.c program in ncurses has a simple test
for spawning a shell; test/filter.c is even simpler, issuing shell
commands.

> ncurses test program alone and they seem to be working fine.  However,
> launching an ncurses-based program from lynx caused the program to run but
> no output to show on the screen.  The screen does not get cleared by
> initscr, mvprintw statements do not show on screen after calling a
> refresh(), etc.  I have lynx 2.8.4.1b and my system has 4MB RAM.  Linux is
> 2.4.18 and ncurses version 5.2.  The fact that lynx is working means that
> ncurses is ok.  There seems to be some sort of terminal problem.  As for the
> actual programming, I initialize with a call to initscr(), then I do a
> mvprintw() to stdscr, and then a refresh().  Should be simple enough to work
> but doesn't.
>
> Regards,
> UQ

http://invisible-island.net