Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.5dev.9

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.5dev.9
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 10:56:07 -0400

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 08:24:31AM -0600, address@hidden wrote:
> In a recent note, Thomas Dickey said:
>
> > Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 09:53:03 -0400
> >
> > >     i370-ibm-openedition
> > >     powerpc-apple-darwin5.2
> > >     sparc-sun-solaris2.6
> > >
> > > These are all output of config.guess.  I see no version number on
> > > openedition.  Is this a defect in config.guess?
> >
> > perhaps.  Did the previous version of config.guess show a version number?
> > If so, we should review the changes and add it back.
> >
> Appears not to have changed in a while:

I recall having a patch for openedition a while back, but had the impression
that the current version of config.guess had incorporated those changes.
(I do recall seeing some changes in that area, but no one commented on them,
so I thought it was ok).

>     address@hidden:143$ grep openedi */*/config.guess

>From my rcs logs, it's been that way since 2.8.4dev.4 (June 23, 2000):

   * updates for config.guess, config.sub from tin -TD

I seem to recall that was in turn based on a copy from subversions, etc.

I don't like to pick up very-recent versions of config.guess/config.sub,
having been burned more than once by people committing incorrect changes -
the versions distributed with a couple of the autoconf releases, for example
had bugs (that I noticed).  So I'll pick a version and run with it for a
few months.

> ... I only started paying attention to it one dev. ago, when someone
> questioned my reference to "OS X 5.2"
>
> -- gil
> --
> StorageTek