lynx-dev multipart/form-data boundary

From: all kui
Subject: lynx-dev multipart/form-data boundary
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 12:06:53 -0800 (PST)

in RFC 2388: Returning Values from Forms:
multipart/form-data
(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2388.txt)

in paragraph 4.1 "Boundary"
it says:
"As with other multipart types, a boundary is selected
that does not occur in any of the data."

later on it says:
..."For example"...
"--AaB03x"

Now when I tested my code, that grabs data sent from a
multipart/form-data encoded form, I saw that Lynx
(versions 8.2.3 and 8.2.4 which I used) always
returned:
xnyLAaB03X
as a boundary.
In this boundary "xnyL" is the mirrored equivalent of
"Lynx" and "AaB03x" is being taken literally from the
author's example, but now with capital X at the end...

Other browsers use a "unique key" in their boundary
like:
---------------------------7d217b185909c4
with the extra "--" at the start it would make:
-----------------------------7d217b185909c4
that changes with every post of the form:
-----------------------------7d2104253a090c
in Internet Explorer, or:
-----------------------------41184676334
in Mozilla 1.0

To replicate the error that I came about do the
following:
- Use a Lynx browser.
- Fill out a form with enctype="multipart/form-data"
- put "--xnyLAaB03X" in an input text field or
textarea.
This will rise an error in the server code that has to
interpret the data.
To give an example: it wouldn't be possible to post
this very text in a multi-part/formdata encoded form
using Lynx!

I would propose using an equivalent approach (a unique
key) as used in other browsers and as:
RFC 1867 : Form-based File Upload in HTML
(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1867.txt)
already proposed:
"A boundary is selected that does not occur in any of
the data. (This selection is sometimes done
probabilisticly.)"

Allan

=====