Re: lynx-dev Patch for configure script

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Patch for configure script
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 07:44:05 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 09:26:10PM -0800, Doug Kaufman wrote:
> > Unless I am missing something here, the configure script does not add
> > the "-g" flag to CFLAGS when "--enable-debug" is specified; it only
> > removes "-g" if it is not. This patch seems to fix it. Have I been
> > invoking configure incorrectly?
>
> probably.  The particular issue here is that autoconf has a bias, making it
> want to put -g -O2 when the compiler is gcc, and -g for other compilers.
> So the -g is an assumption.  (The reason given for the choice is that gcc's
> optimizer is good, and other compiler's are not - not true of course).

I think you are correct. I misread the documentation. I thought the
comment in configure said that it would add "-g" when CFLAGS was set,
rather than that the user must add it.

I do find the default action unexpected, however. If "--enable-debug" is
not set in the configure options, configure silently removes a "-g"
that is set in CFLAGS. I would think that most folks would expect the
explicitly set CFLAGS to be unchanged, unless "--disable-debug" were to
be specifically set. (I don't know why someone would want to set "-g" in
CFLAGS, then specify "--disable-debug".)
                               Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden