Re: lynx-dev Re: [CHRPM] lynx-2.8.5-0.11mdk.dev.8

From: Frédéric L . W . Meunier
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: [CHRPM] lynx-2.8.5-0.11mdk.dev.8
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 13:50:33 -0200 (BRST)

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, Philip Webb wrote:

> 021117 Stefan van der Eijk wrote:
> > --=-=-=
> > Name        : lynx                         Relocations: (not relocateable)
> > Version     : 2.8.5                             Vendor: MandrakeSoft
> > Release     : 0.11mdk.dev.8                 Build Date: Sun Nov 17 12:21:56
> > 2002
> > Install date: (not installed)               Build Host: bi.mandrakesoft.com
> > Group       : Networking/WWW                Source RPM: (none)
> > Size        : 2061427                          License: GPL
> > Packager    : Mandrake Linux Team <http://www.mandrakeexpert.com>
> > URL         : http://lynx.isc.org
> > Summary     : Text based browser for the world wide web
> > Description :
> > This a terminal based WWW browser. While it does not make any attempt
> > at displaying graphics, it has good support for HTML text formatting,
> > forms, and tables.
> >
> > This version includes support for SSL encryption.
> >
> > WARNING: In some countries, it is illegal to export this package. In some
> > countries, it may even be illegal to use it.
>
> is this still the case?  if so, at least one such country
> should be named; if not, the last two lines should be
> dropped.

I think so. David Woolley advised me to remove IDEA, MDC2, and
RC5 from my OpenSSL for Windows (Borland C++), what I did.

Cygwin removes them.

If OpenSSL from Mandrake includes any of IDEA, MDC2, and RC5,
then it's illegal.

I know Slackware removes them.

> is this being done by Mandrake or by Lynx (ie presumably Tom
> Dickey)?

Mandrake.

BTW, from ELinks:

INSTALL:

"!BEWARE!  If you _distribute_ a binary of ELinks with OpenSSL
linked to it, and the OpenSSL library is not part of your base
system, you are VIOLATING THE GPL (although I believe that for
this absurd case no ELinks copyright holder will sue you, and
it's not a problem for the OpenSSL people as well, as they have
explicitly told me).  So, people who are making ELinks binaries
for systems with no OpenSSL in the base system and who decided
to link OpenSSL against the ELinks binary may wish NOT to
publish or distribute such a binary, as it's breaking GPL 2(b),
if they like to have everything legally perfect (like Debian
people ;).  As a semi-solution to this for those people, GNUTLS
support was introduced; if you want to distribute ELinks
binaries with HTTPS support, compile ELinks with the
--with-gnutls configure option (assuming that you have GNUTLS
0.5.0 or later [tested with 0.5.4] installed).  However, as
GNUTLS is not yet 100% stable and its support in ELinks is not
so well tested yet, it's recommended for users to give a strong
preference to OpenSSL whenever possible."

What about Lynx ? I and a few people distribute SSL binaries
for Windows / Cygwin.

--
address@hidden, {dyndns.}org}