Re: lynx-dev the use of CTRACE()

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev the use of CTRACE()
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 19:04:23 -0500

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 12:13:31AM -0800, Carlton Anderson wrote:
> It seems that CTRACE() might be pretty
> useful for finding out what lynx is
> doing internally and hunting down bugs.
>
> If I add a module to Lynx, what are the
> best places to put CTRACE() messages?
>
> At the beginning and end of every
> function? (shudder)

that's not really needed.  I do that in ncurses (actually a hierarchical
trace), and a few other programs, but the traces in lynx are mostly oriented
toward showing interesting bits of information.  While there is a verbose mode
of tracing in lynx (that shows file- and line-numbers), I find it more useful
to leave enough context in the message that it's easy to grep for the
corresponding printf format.

> When the module is initialized and
> deinitialized?
>
> Other places?