Re: lynx-dev LYNX: should nested <blockquotes> indent even further?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: should nested <blockquotes> indent even further?
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 07:02:55 +0000 (GMT)

> QUESTION: are nested <blockquote> tags supposed
> to indent more, the deeper nested it becomes?

Nested blockquote tags, i.e. <blocquote<blockquote>> are illegal.

For nested blockquote elements:  HTML is not a page description language.
It does not mandate any particular presentation for any particular element,
even though the spec may suggest ones or mention typical current practice.
As such, the question is meaningless.

The presentational behaviour of a browser without style sheet support, or
the default style sheet for ones which are purely style sheet driven are
a matter of choice for the designers.  The speciment style sheet in the
CSS2 specification indents both right and left and does so indefinitely,
even if the result goes to zero width!

The sample is invalid, because it contains the non-existent characters
&#146; and &#147;, but I can't see any structural error that would
affect things here.  I haven't put it through the validator.