Re: lynx-dev Trouble using file upload

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Trouble using file upload
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 17:14:50 -0500

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 09:59:27PM +0000, Mark Wainwright wrote:
> >> Thanks for the reply. Just to be explicit -- is "experimental" a
> >> euphemism for "unimplemented", or is there some other reason why I
> >> couldn't make it work?
>
> > not-fully-implemented.  I've spent some time on it, have used it to upload
> > files to a couple of html validators.  For text files, it's probably ok
> > (some minor issues), but for binary files it uses mime encoding, which
> > both isn't 100% complete, and not all hosts recognize it.
>
> Then I'm still not clear why I couldn't use it, since I presume a CSS
> file or an HTML file (I tried the W3's HTML validator too) are in the
> relevant sense text files. But in both cases the server gave an error
> clearly showing it didn't think it had been sent a file at all.
>
> Is there for example some peculiarity to the form in which one should
> type the file name?

not really - offhand, the only problems I can see would be when using
a full pathname, the server might see that and get confused.  Generally
I've uploaded using files in the current directory.   In the most recent
patch, I had to add a content type since w3c's validator didn't accept
plain text any longer.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net