lynx-dev Windows problem

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev Windows problem
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 15:37:08 -0500

[ this was sent to me: please send all queries to lynx-dev.
i don't use Losedows, but someone else mb able to offer advice ]

----- Forwarded message from landry Dale <address@hidden> -----

Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 12:27:23 -0800 (PST)
From: landry Dale <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

I am a new Lynx user. OS - Win98

I had the same problem many beginners do, with the bookmark file ending up
in the C:\Windows\Temp folder. Based on another user's suggestion,
I changed my lynx.bat file to read:

  @ECHO OFF
  set term=vt100
  set home=g:\lynx
  set temp=c:\temp

// This is strange but it works. The bookmark file ends up in g:\lynx\temp. //

  set lynx_cfg=g:\lynx\lynx.cfg
  g:\lynx\lynx.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5

That solved the bookmark problem,
but now the program will not create an options file.
I get two error messages when I press "o":

  "Alert! Unable to open tempfile."
  "Alert! LYNXOPTIONS:/"

If I do not set a temp file path or set it as g:\lynx\temp,
both the bookmarks file and the options file end up in C:\Windows\Temp.
I have my bookmark file in g:\lynx\temp.
I would like my options file in g:\lynx\options'
or even in the root folder lynx.

It would be very helpful to show on your site
the best way to set up the batch file for Win9X
and also explain why it is set up that way.
I can't imagine anyone wanting to keep their bookmarks and options
in their Windows Temp file! To me, this problem comes under "beginner" stuff.

Thanks for listening!

Dale Landry, Westminster, Colorado