lynx-dev Other problems with Lynx

From: Peter Rasmussen
Subject: lynx-dev Other problems with Lynx
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 17:42:48 +0100

Here comes my pet-peeves that I have had for some time with Lynx, but that I
never got around to talk about. Being in the mood I'll go ahead :-)

I believe they aren't just mis-configurations, but I could of course be wrong.

1.When asking to see the source by pressing '\' a new request is sent to the
  server. Building 2.8.5dev12 with '--enable-source-cache' I hoped that it
  wasn't so anymore, but as far as I can see in my Apache access_log it still
  does. Have I been misled, or have I misunderstood?

2.When entering text in a FORM, the page in Lynx is always a little messed up.
  For example in linuxtoday.com talkbacks I get the following:

                         Enter your comments below.

                       Your Name: Your Email Address:
                       ______________________________
                       ______________________________
      Subject: CC: [will also send this talkback to an E-Mail address]
                                 Comments:

    Tags allowed:<I>,<B> and <U>. See our talkback-policy for more about
                             talkback content.
                                Send Preview
===========
I didn't use the configure switch '--disable-forms-options' but let it build
with the defaults.

The first lines can be dealt with and I have gotten used to it, but the actual
comments box (TEXTAREA) annoys me, because each line scrolls and only the
little window of the initial line width is viewed and only the designated lines
are allowed. It makes it very painful to use if you want to write something
longer than what the ROWS and COLS tags says. Either an external editor, eg. vi
or vim, should be spawned or the TEXTAREA editor in Lynx should be improved.

>From the same talkback experience I noticed that the resulting page doesn't
honour <BR> or <P> tags, at least not in the same way that Mozilla does. I have
no example right now and I don't want to mess with the time of LinuxToday
editors for that purpose, but the next time I write soemthing there I'll save
it and let you have a look at it, unless you know what it is about.

That will be it for now, and again thank you very much :-)

Peter