Re: lynx-dev Problem with parameters sent in Lynx

From: Peter Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Problem with parameters sent in Lynx
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 18:32:31 +0100

On Sun Dec 29 18:00:42 2002 address@hidden wrote:

>In a recent note, Peter Rasmussen said:
>
>> Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 17:00:56 +0100
>>
>> Regarding the ' ' vs. %20 issue, isn't there a standard to hold it against or
>> is it an implementation issue?
>>
>Yes.  From RFC 1738 at http://www.w3.org/Addressing/rfc1738.txt:
>
>2.2. URL Character Encoding Issues
>       [ ... ]
>   Octets must be encoded if they have no corresponding graphic
>   character within the US-ASCII coded character set, if the use of the
>   corresponding character is unsafe, or if the corresponding character
>   is reserved for some other interpretation within the particular URL
>   scheme.
>       [ ... ]
>   Characters can be unsafe for a number of reasons.  The space
>   character is unsafe because significant spaces may disappear and
>   insignificant spaces may be introduced when URLs are transcribed or
>   typeset or subjected to the treatment of word-processing programs.

All right, it seems that there are consensus regarding this issue. Anyone
here have any idea of an ETA for the fix?

I ask because I have no idea of the work load regarding other issues or how
hard/easy it is to fix, and I would like to know if I can expect it within a
reasonable time and therefore not have to branch my own software to a generic
and an also-lynx-support branch, I hate branching :-)

Thanks a lot,

Peter