Re: lynx-dev Problem with parameters sent in Lynx

From: Peter Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Problem with parameters sent in Lynx
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 21:29:49 +0100

>Refresh 0 should never be used.

etc.

I guess I'll stick around this site a little longer than expected as it seems
I can learn a few things :-)

As a producer of software that has to work before it has to be beautiful and
'correct' I always have to balance my produce between 'hacks' and 'correct'
with what I at the time knew, but in any case it has to work for the people
receiving it, it being myself, friends or paying customers.

And I have to admit that I haven't looked any closer into HTML4.01 than what
made it work with Mozilla and Opera (Netscape 6+ usually works like Mozilla
and IE5 seems to be pretty close to Opera6) and as those are my test-targets
that is usually what satisfies me.

Lynx only entered the scene because I myself enjoy fast and efficient software
and Lynx is if anything a no-nonsense browser and was the first one I ever used
since I started using Linux in early 1994, and SunOS4/Solaris before that and
still. Mosaic was just too damn cumbersome the few times I attempted it.

Ergo, I really appreciate the huge amount of hints I get from this forum, but
please remember that there are issues that are more or less academic and there
are issues of much higher practical use.

And proclaminig some functionality to go obsolete doesn't necessarily make it
so. If enough people have become dependant on it it will stick around. And that
is why bright people caution against including functionality too lightly,
because it will stick around longer than expected if peopel start using it,
even if it is wrong :-)

I have only once validated my source against W3C's validator and it was just
like using lint when compiling C source. Too much noise.

I always use their HTML docs and whenever I run into something that doesn't
work I go read them closer to figure out how it should be. But I test it
against a real-world browser like Mozilla and Opera because that is what most
people use.

So you won't see me stop using 'Refresh 0' until it actually doesn't work :-)
I don't use it a lot though, mostly during development, which is what I am in
the middle of right now.

But as I said, this seems to be a very enlightened forum so I'll stick around
and learn something.

Thank you,

Peter