Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.5dev.12d.patch.gz

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.5dev.12d.patch.gz
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 12:27:14 +0300 (MSK)

1-Jan-2003 20:29 Thomas E. Dickey wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

>> 1-Jan-2003 18:37 Thomas Dickey wrote:
>> > I put a snapshot of my current patch on
>> >       ftp://invisible-island.net/temp/
>>
>> > which includes LP's HTLine change, modified so it seems to work properly.
>>
>> This is still an error, Tom.
>> Your variant will use (MAX_LINE+epsilon)*(lines in the document) memory,
>> and this is because the last line is allocated in pool in split_line().
>> The last (=unfinished) line should be handled differently
>> then all the previous (=finished) lines.

> I did run the program with find-leaks and with valgrind - neither showed
> me a problem.  There might be some scenario where the program leaks - we
> can test for that.  (Actually there were leaks, not related, in the
> HTParse.c code iirc).

This variant did not leak (comparing to dev.11) -
it allocates *too much memory* in the pool,
and pool is freed later - in HText_free.

Perhaps, you did not see memory corruption since memory overrun
within the same pool chunk is not seen by memory debugger.

There may be another palliative variant using freeHTLine:
we malloc/free the last line each time, but other lines
are allocated in the pool. (To free the last line
we store its pointer in other place). May supply a patch.