Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.5dev.13

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.5dev.13
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 10:07:42 +0900 (JST)

> > 2003-01-22 (2.8.5dev.13)
> [...]
> > * update several po files (da.po, de.po, et.po, hu.po, sv.po, tr.po) from
> >   http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/maint/lynx/
>
> I haven't passed the fr.po file onto the Translation Project due to the
> ongoing thread about ISO-8859 vs. iso-8859, etc. Can someone let me know

For the time being, just make them all uppercase.  (As Doug said, it's easy
maintenance, and it doesn't affect systems which ignore case.)

> if the file is okay to post (as it is probably better than what has been
> distributed with Lynx for some time), or if I need to ask the translator
> to make changes?

That "probably better" is the hard part.  Who decides?  We need input from
native French.  (Is the "new" fr.po an update, or a completely independent
translation?)

> I had volunteered to be the go-between.

Many thanks!

The more I think about this case-sensitive problem, the more it seems
like something the GNU gettext people need to deal with.  Since they
are the ones forcing the dependency on libiconv, and calling libiconv
functions from their routines, they are the ones who should be asking
for bug fixes and/or passing the proper parameters to open(), close()
or whatever the relevant libiconv functions are.

If anyone on lynx-dev agrees and has good rapport with the gettext
developers, maybe you could drop them a line?  (Alas, they don't want
to hear from me, I'm afraid :).

__Henry