From: David Woolley
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 07:02:41 +0000 (GMT)

> What *I* see is that with <br><br>, the "paragraphs"
> are pushed together (no white-space between them),

They are not paragraphs.  There is only one paragraph in that
example, and, as has already been pointed out that Lynx does
have an option to emulate the broken presentational behaviour
of popular GUI browsers, which never treats <br><br> as a paragraph,
but simply as a forced newline, rather than a forced line break.
(Early ones didn't treat p as a paragraph either, although competent
support of CSS and DOM requires they do.)

I would say that br was also being abused even in the first example.
The lines in question are either list items or paragraphs with a reduced
margin (CSS).