Re: lynx-dev LYNX: need option to save V (html) page, every so often. (

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: need option to save V (html) page, every so often. (shellAcct times out!)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 00:39:24 -0500

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 03:07:29PM +0100, Petr Baudis wrote:

> It would be probably much simpler and more effective for you to use the
> screen(1) program --- it will wrap the programs you run inside to a virtual
> terminal which is the associated with one or multiple real connections ---
> when
> the connection dies (or you detach manually), the program continues to live
> inside of the screen and you can attach it back anytime, or you can even
> attach
> multiple times, sharing the screen between multiple terminals. Not mentioning
> that you can have multiple "windows" inside of the screen, running separate
> tasks there.
>
> Obviously I'm not saying that the state being saved wouldn't be useful as
> well,
> it can be very convient to have your history back restored when you have to
> restart your browser. This is rather a workaround, but it could help in the
> meantime ;-).

Perhaps were I connected directly to the net, a la ppp,
but I'm dialed into my isp's computer, which computer
gives me a bash -> tcsh shell, within which I
type in "lynx ...".

That is, lynx is not running on *my* computer,
but on the isp's computer.  (Using the internet
this indirect way is termed "via a shell-account" --
the isp providesf "shell-account access"; that's
what I pay for; no ability to do ppp, just able
to give shell-cmds to the *isp* computer.)

So, when my *connection* (to the isp) times
out, I'm automatically logged-out, just as
if I'd said "exit" a time or two.

Given this context, I'm not so sure that
wrapping with screen will do me any good --
other than, if I ran it on *my* computer,
and then within which I ran Kermit to dial
out, maybe I'd be able to scroll back and forth
after time-out.

However, I often keep lynx up, and ^z it
and go run eg trn or mutt, which runs vi
if I'm sending an email, all of which
might make scrolling back be over a bunch
of garbage cursor-movement stuff.

 ------

Now, all that's needed is for some lynx-hacker to
convince him/herself that this safety-feature
is really needed, so badly that he/she'll go add it...

How much luck is there of that?   :-(

Thanks for the reply, and do tell me if and how
I misunderstand your suggested use of screen.

Thanks!

David