Re: lynx-dev LYNX: need option to save V (html) page, every so often. (

From: Ian Collier
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: need option to save V (html) page, every so often. (shellAcct times out!)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 13:12:29 +0000

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 12:39:24AM -0500, David Combs wrote:
> Perhaps were I connected directly to the net, a la ppp,
> but I'm dialed into my isp's computer, which computer
> gives me a bash -> tcsh shell, within which I
> type in "lynx ...".

Yes... we know that. :-)

> So, when my *connection* (to the isp) times
> out, I'm automatically logged-out, just as
> if I'd said "exit" a time or two.

> Given this context, I'm not so sure that
> wrapping with screen will do me any good --

It will, provided your ISP has the "screen" command
(or you can compile it on your ISP account).  You run
it on the remote side, and when your connection dies
it keeps on running in the background and saves your
lynx session from being killed.

> However, I often keep lynx up, and ^z it
> and go run eg trn or mutt, which runs vi

If you have screen running then you don't have to ^Z
but just open another terminal and tab between them.

> if I'm sending an email, all of which
> might make scrolling back be over a bunch
> of garbage cursor-movement stuff.

Nope, screen saves all your scrollback for you (if you
have so configured it), although you do have to scroll
using screen's scrolling keys rather than using the
scrollbar.  And screen is perfectly compatible with
lynx, trn, mutt, vi and much more...

imc