Re: lynx-dev SSL and Certificates

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev SSL and Certificates
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 07:43:02 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Patrick Ash wrote:

> The newer releases of Lynx 2.8.5 all give error messages when going
> to secure sites. I realize that I need a cert.pem file with the
> certificates in it, but cannot find one to work properly. I have
> tried the certs in ca-bundle.crt from mod_ssl and even exporting the
> certs from IE 5.5.
>
> If I have no cert.pem file, I get the message "unable to get local
> issuer certificate". If I use the pem file, I get the message that
> 'local issuer certificate has expired" with either of the above
> cases.
>
> Does anyone have a good cert.pem file that I could try, or perhaps a
> pointer to something that will work to eliminate these error messages
> when using SSL connections. Thanks.

I suspect that what you need to do is to apply the certificate update
patch to your Internet Explorer from Microsoft, then export the
certificates. When I do that, they export as a pkcs7 file, from which
you can print the certificates using
"openssl pkcs7 --inform DER -in infile -out cert.pem -print_certs -text"

You should be able to leave out the "-text" if you don't want to review
the details of the certificates.
                         Doug
--
Doug Kaufman