lynx-dev base href -- how generated by Lynx?

From: William December Starr
Subject: lynx-dev base href -- how generated by Lynx?
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 12:21:36 -0500

"clemens fischer" <address@hidden> said:

> address@hidden (William December Starr):
>
>> lynx -base -source http://www.cuttingsarchive.org.uk/telos/
>
> this page opens up saying that my browser doesn't support web
> standards.  the server is micro$oft IIS ...

Right... the question is, what happens when you 'click' on the first
link in the page?  More presicely, what base href does Lynx use to
generate the complete URL of the file that that link should lead to?

If it uses:

http://www.cuttingsarchive.org.uk/EASYNET1/r/a/r.anderson/telos/index.htm

then you'll get a 404 (well, under Lynx 2.8.4rel.1 you will,
anyway), whereas if it uses:

http://www.cuttingsarchive.org.uk/telos/index.htm

then you'll go to the appropriate page.

The difference lies in what base href Lynx generates for itself when
the home page doesn't explicitly specify one in its header, and
different versions of Lynx (2.7.1 vs. 2.8.4rel.1) generate different
ones.

(The quick-and-easy way to find out what the base href is is, of
course, to press the = key and see what the URL is of the "Link that
you have currently selected".)

Note: the Telos webmaster has told me that he'll be putting an
explicit "BASE HREF=..." line in the header the next time he updates
the page, so experimenting with that particular URL may, in the near
future, no longer produce the odd results.

-- William December Starr <address@hidden>