Re: lynx-dev HEADS UP! not just spam, now viruses

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev HEADS UP! not just spam, now viruses
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 14:03:00 -0500

PLEASE ELABORATE -- for those of us don't know much
if anything about virus-catching.

Here are the prior emails -- maybe someone can annotate
the various points, paragraphs, etc.

THANKS!

David

-----------------------------

I received a mail with a b64'd KLEZ-varient virus "kitty.exe" posing to
be from "address@hidden," a regular contributor to this list.  The FROM
was forged without doubt, and it was not even sent to the account I am
sending this mail from and which is the account I am subscribed under,
but to my "official" work address.

It's been obvious for quite some time that the flora archives are being
harvested for spam-targeted addresses.  Now it has spilt over to random,
malicious mailings of viruses.  Beware.

__Henry

>I received a mail with a b64'd KLEZ-varient virus "kitty.exe" posing to

You could just use a unix mailer like pine (or PC-Pine for Windows.).
I'm using a spam filter (bmf) in addition, a how-to for setting it
up it at http://open.bsdcow.net/tutorials/bmf-sendmail

Just a suggestion.

//Thorsten