Re: lynx-dev HEADS UP! not just spam, now viruses

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev HEADS UP! not just spam, now viruses
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 16:40:35 -0800

Frederic_L._W._Meunier wrote:

> It seems any e-mail sent to address@hidden@address@hidden and
> address@hidden@address@hidden is archived. Example
> at http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month032003/msg00075.html

(I've deliberately obfuscated the above email addresses by changing '-'
to '@')

The mailing list archives are on the web, therefore indexed by google
and other search engines.  Spammers have been harvesting email addresses
from the web (and search engines) for quite a while now.  By archiving
these addresses into the list, we can now be sure that spammers will
harvest them, and the overall spam density in the archives will
increase.  :-(

Many mailing list archives have established a practice where _all_ email
addresses in the archive are obfuscated, to frustrate spam list
harvesters.  Of course this is also frustrating to legitimate users of
the archive.  This is just one of the many "tragedy of the commons"
side-effects of spam.  Spammers always claim they aren't doing any harm,
while continuing to urinate vigorously into everyone's water supply...