Re: lynx-dev LYNX: need option to save V (html) page, every so often. (

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: need option to save V (html) page, every so often. (shellAcct times out!)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 01:56:36 -0500

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 01:28:57PM +0100, clemens fischer wrote:
> David Combs <address@hidden>:
>
> > Something like that would be WONDERFUL for lynx --
> > and what lynx would save would be just TWO
> > files:
> >
> > (1) The "history stack", written out as a .html
> >     file (ie, as via doing a "\"-cmd),
> >
> > (2) The "V-page.html", via the "V" cmd, giving
> >     that neato indented-sidewise-tree showing
> >     EVERYWHERE you've been since starting up
> >     this version of lynx, and as-via-"\", saved
> >     as .html.
>
> it could be cheap and useful to just record every URL visited,
> appended to a file one per line, no forms or uploads.  i'm not sure
> if elinks has this feature now, but it has had a scripting-language
> called lua for a long time, and elinks didn't even have to be changed
> in any way to get this feature, just a few lines of lua.
>
> > What to NAME these files?
>
> ~/.lynx-history
>
> as it contains URLs, not HTML, it doesn't need the .html suffix.
>
>   clemens

Now, for my much-delayed follow-up.

The problem is not so much the timing-out,
but these days more likely the line dropping
(panix is switching telecom providers).

Also, a mere list of urls visited is nothing
like the wonderful V-page, with the tree-of-visits
built-in.

First, have you actually used the V-cmd, especially
to \-it into html, where you can then save it as
a html-file, and from then on can use that file
to resume that environment of prior-calls, hist-stacks,
etc.

The tree also gives you good documentation as to
how you got to the various urls you visited.

Give it try; see how you like doing that (restoring
yourself to some prior environment).

---

Of course, if I'm the only one who ever gets a
dropped connection, then the auto-saving of a
v-page's html wouldn't be so useful to the
lynx community as a whole.

Thanks for all the suggestions, though.

David