Re: lynx-dev Incorrect centering

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Incorrect centering
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 15:41:34 -0500

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 11:51:15AM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 09:02:19AM -0500, Chuck Martin wrote:
> > I would like to get some opinions from the more knowledgeable people on
> > this list regarding centering.  What should this do?:

> > This still isn't correct, but considering the state of table handling in
> > lynx, I think it's more consistent, and more correct than the current way.
> > Note that this patch isn't the proper fix.  It merely disables the part
>
> yes - it makes the handling of cells inconsistent.  It would be nice to
> left-align the cell contents without losing the offset.

I agree that would be nice, but wouldn't it require that lynx first have
better table handling?  If you take my example and duplicate that cell
four times in two rows and two columns, which is more representative of
the way you'll fine it in the wild, how is lynx to handle it?  Currently,
lynx would render all four cells, one below the other, centered line by
line.  With my patch, they will also be rendered one below the other,
but left justified, which I think is the best that lynx can do at the
moment without extensive reworking.

Also, could you explain what you mean by "it makes the handling of cells
inconsistent"?  Are you referring to with or without my patch?

Chuck