Re: lynx-dev Incorrect centering

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Incorrect centering
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:55:25 +0000 (GMT)

> I believe lynx is wrong, because the 'align="center"' should apply to
> the as a whole, and not to each line in every cell of the table, which

The answer is undefined; it depends on the browser's (conceptual) style
sheet.  Whilst deprecated, align="center" does centre the table in the
document, but, unless you override the rules for the td elements,
there could be an implied style sheet rule that says:

table[align=center] td {text-align: center;}

I would agree that it is not what is expected, but you shouldn't use
HTML for such effects, anyway, which is why the attribute is
deprecated.

It's not that surprising that this happens, as many browsers seem to
treat the, deprecated, centre element as having the effects of:

center {margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;}
center * {text-align: center;}

i.e. it both centres the block and causes centre justification of any
contained text.