Re: lynx-dev Incorrect centering

From: Lloyd Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Incorrect centering
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:57:52 -0500

One of the Hiroyuki Senshu modifications is the ability to turn table
centering on and off with ctrl-Q.  But this may have made it into the
general code base, I'm not sure.  The mod I like the best, which is
in the other Windows ports, is ctrl-W to paste from the Windows
clipboard into a Lynx edit field, and ctrl-S to copy from Lynx to the
Windows clipboard.  I've used those keystrokes hundreds of times.

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:58:46 +0900 (JST), Henry Nelson wrote:

>> Also, if you look at the block of code that I disabled, you will
>> notice that there is a section in there which acts differently if
>> SH_EX is defined (isn't that for Japanese?), and the SH_EX behavior
>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Quite possibly not.  While "SH" does stand for Hiroyuki Senshu (first
>name last name), many (most?) of his EXtensions were general improvements
>to Lynx, especially in a Windows environment, and had nothing at all to
>do with CJK (Chinese-Japanese-Korean).  In all, I think there were 50+
>"improvements."  Why they were #ifdefed is that no one, myself included,
>had the time to translate from Japanese to English what they all were.
>
>Fairly recently I had Tom remove an SH_EX #ifdef making Mr. Senshu's
>improved handling of long <title>s the default.  Actually, the #ifdefed
>section was a fix for a bug that Fote himself had made a note of in the
>code, but hadn't gotten around to working on.
>
>> is different than the non-SH_EX behavior.  It's been awhile since I
>> actually followed it through to see where the no_table_center variable
>> is set, but I believe defining SH_EX will do basically what my patched
>> version is doing.  I'm not sure why that section is #ifdef'ed for
>> SH_EX, when it doesn't seem to have anything to do with what language
>
>It probably shouldn't have been #ifdefed in the first place.  Chuck, rather
>than have any more of those SH_EX #ifdefs than necessary, would you mind
>investigating whether it does indeed solve your problem, and then give a
>recommendation to Tom as to whether to remove it and keep your fix, or if
>a better fix than yours, remove the #ifdefs and withdraw your patch of the
>other day?  (Seems I need to qualify whatever I say these days, but in
>all sincerity I intend no insult whatsoever.  In fact, quite the opposite,
>I highly respect your ability to read the code and program in c.)
>
>Just in general I'd recommend that active developers of Lynx try a version
>of Lynx with SH_EX defined.  While some #ifdefed sections are indeed
>personal preferences, for the most part I think you'll find Lynx gives you
>a more pleasing ride.
>
>__Henry

Braille is the solution to the digital divide.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
home:  <address@hidden> <http://lras.home.sprynet.com/>
Work:  <address@hidden>         <http://www.loc.gov/nls/>