Re: lynx-dev Incorrect centering

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Incorrect centering
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 02:13:47 -0500

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 10:58:46AM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> It probably shouldn't have been #ifdefed in the first place.  Chuck, rather
> than have any more of those SH_EX #ifdefs than necessary, would you mind
> investigating whether it does indeed solve your problem, and then give a
> recommendation to Tom as to whether to remove it and keep your fix, or if
> a better fix than yours, remove the #ifdefs and withdraw your patch of the
> other day?  (Seems I need to qualify whatever I say these days, but in
> all sincerity I intend no insult whatsoever.  In fact, quite the opposite,
> I highly respect your ability to read the code and program in c.)

I didn't find anything you said insulting in the least.

I did look a little deeper into this section of the code, and as I
said in response to Lloyd Rasmussen, it appears that this is part of Mr.
Senshu's mod to turn table centering on and of with ^Q.  It appears
that Mr. Senshu saw the same problem that I did, and decided to add an
alternate behavior instead of just changing the existing one.  I'm
wondering, however, if there is any reason to retain the existing
behavior.  I can't think of any, and it really seems to me that the
existing behavior is just plain wrong.  If someone can come up with an
example where the existing behavior is better, I'd happily recommend
removing the #ifdefs from the relevant parts.  Otherwise, I still think
it would be better to just remove it all and not attempt to do any
centering at all in this particular case, at least not until lynx can
handle tables in such a way that centering would make sense.  There
certainly wouldn't be any loss of information in doing so.

Having looked at it more thoroughly, and having seen that there are
other parts of the code that are related, most of which are also
#ifdefed for SH_EX, I think it would also be appropriate to remove
those parts as well.  I also noticed that the align="center" attribute
is handled the same way in the <TR> tag, which I had never noticed
before because lynx doesn't handle cells in a row that cover multiple
lines, so it wouldn't be as noticeable, and I think centering should be
ignored in those cases, too.  In fact, I don't know if that attribute
is ever used in the <TR> tag, because I can't for the life of me figure
out why anyone would do such a thing.  How can you center a row as a
whole in a table?  How would the columns line up if you tried?  Is that
even valid (never mind the fact that using align="center" is deprecated
in the standards no matter where you use it)?

Any thoughts from anyone else, one way or the other are welcome.
Thanks.

Chuck