Re: lynx-dev LYNX: P(rint) cmd: appending? (was: how to include...)

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: P(rint) cmd: appending? (was: how to include...)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 16:59:33 -0500

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 06:27:20AM -0500, William December Starr wrote:
> David Combs <address@hidden> said:
>
> > Of course, I could do a series of prints
> > (appends) and get what I want, but
> > I really want to be able to hit just
> > one key, p, and that only once.
>
> This (perhaps) implies that there's some trick I don't know about
> that allows one to use the p(rint) command to append text to an
> existing file as opposed to saving it to a new file, a process which,
> if there already exists a file of that name, overwrites the old one.
>
> _Is_ there such an ability in Lynx?  For me, the "printing options"
> screen looks like this:
>
> >                   Printing Options (Lynx Version 2.8.4rel.1)
> >
> >    Document: file://localhost/net/u/1/w/wdstarr/bookmarks.html
> >    Number of lines: 46
> >    Number of pages: 1 page (approximately)
> >
> > Print options:
> >    Save to a local file
> >    Mail the file
> >    Print to the screen
> >    Print out on a printer attached to your vt100 terminal
> >    Specify at run-time
> >    Use LESS to view
>
> Am I looking right at the answer and not seeing it?

Thanks to the doc in lynx.cfg, I added this line
to it:

   1517 PRINTER:Append to file t5:sh -c "cat %s >> t5":FALSE

Works like a charm -- hit "p", hit "5" (it's the fifth
choice), and it instantly returns to the doc, having
appended to the file t5.

Maybe someone can add the above as an actual
example of doing this, rather than leaving
it to be (hopefully!) deduced by each user.

Perhaps also added to that hints-n-tricks
(small) file.

David