Re: lynx-dev Re: Incorrect centering

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Incorrect centering
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 13:18:41 -0700

Chuck Martin wrote:

> By the way, I just tried <TR ALIGN="CENTER"> with all of the browsers I
> have installed, and it seems that they all do as lynx does, centering
> each cell in the row line by line, but none do if the align attribute
> is in the <TABLE> tag itself, so maybe we should leave the <TR> behavior
> alone and just change the <TABLE> behavior.  I don't know if the <TR>
> version is found anywhere in the wild or not, but since neither behavior
> makes any sense in that case, I don't really care what it does.

I'm sure you _can_ find tables in the which use <TR ALIGN="CENTER"> on
every row; in some cases, to very good effect.  It _should_ do what Lynx
and the other browsers you tested do.  You should only be changing the
effect of centering on a whole-table basis.

Imagine, for example, a poem which is meant to be symmetrical and shaped
like (say) an hourglass.  Each of its rows should be individually
centered for the best effect.