Re: lynx-dev Possible Bug in Lynx 2.8.5-dev.15

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Possible Bug in Lynx 2.8.5-dev.15
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 06:46:12 -0400

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 10:03:49PM -0700, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> Thomas Dickey wrote:
>
>   The realloc is used to shrink storage requirements - IZ's comment
>   indicates it may be slow.  If it's too slow, we should drop that
>   chunk of code altogether.
>
> As the comment saiz, it is quadratic.  In my testing it is 10000 times
> slower on my huge test file; it also does not save memory (both with
> EMX' malloc()).

what it appears to do is alter a place where a realloc would shrink,
to caching it in a pool under the assumption that the chunk would not be
increased at a later point in the code.  But it wasn't clear why the
alternative (defined-out chunk) used a lot more memory.

> The defined-out chunk is left in as a comment why easier-to-implement
> approach won't work.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Ilya

Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>