Re: [lynx-dev] killing a hung lookup operation

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: [lynx-dev] killing a hung lookup operation
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 18:27:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 May 2003, William December Starr wrote:

> Gisle Vanem <address@hidden> said:
>
> > BTW. Isn't there a way to interrupt really slow ftp openings?
> > (not transfers, but the initial greeting, STAT, PWD stuff).
> > I tried ftp://info.cert.org w/o passive mode and it timed out
> > eventually. Passive mode is okay. But 'z' didn't work and repeated
> > ^C's crashed Lynx (at eip = 0x00000000).
>
> Similarly, sometimes the looking up of a server's address (via a
> call to a domain name server, I believe) also can hang, leaving one
> staring at an unchanging "Looking up www..."  message until the
> search finally times out -- z won't interrupt this.
>
> Is there any way to kill such a lookup-in-progress?  If not, could
> one be added to Lynx?

It's a configure option (--enable-nsl-fork).  I assume GV's talking about
either djgpp (for which it hasn't been implemented) or cygwin.  Cancelling
a download is done by polling the keyboard.  Cancelling an ftp connect
(past the lookup stage) could probably be implemented similarly to the
nsl fork code, but it hasn't been much of an issue that I recall.

(patches are of interest ;-)

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net