Re: lynx-dev '\' reloading documents

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev '\' reloading documents
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 23:05:44 -0400

030529 Henry Nelson wrote:
> Maybe Lynx should do what MSIE does: feed the source (temp file Lynx
> has written to disk) into DEFAULT_EDITOR rather than refetch the file
> or "source cache."  That way there is no way to accidentally or otherwise
> use data which is possibly no longer appropriate for hypertext operations.

that seems rather paranoid: let's let the user decide how secure to be.

> For a long, long time source cacheing was not allowed into the code base.
> It might be worthwhile to review some of the discussion that
> went on prior to and at the time source cache was finally implemented.

i don't remember any concerns re security, only re accuracy etc,
eg "might not the source be out of date?", "won't it overload my disk?"

> Seems like a large proportion of documents are created dynamically
> on the web these days.  In many cases it means that each page from
> the server is unique, i.e., each time you access the URL, the page
> that the server returns is different from any page you may have
> received on previous accesses to the same URL.  A cached document in
> that situation perhaps needs to have it's base URL time stamped so
> that its content is not confused with the constantly changing content
> of the original URL.

yes, that is a definite change since cacheing was introduced to Lynx.

the basic reason for demanding cacheing c 1997-8 was the delay
when Lynx had to go back to the site to grab the source.
today with broadband, that is hardly a problem anymore.
however, other browsers -- eg Galeon & Opera -- seem to cache source.

my vote is to leave the basics alone, while correcting hidden bugs (if any).