Re: lynx-dev '\' reloading documents

From: Ian Collier
Subject: Re: lynx-dev '\' reloading documents
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:15:28 +0100

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 09:00:19AM -0400, Chuck Martin wrote:
> The problem is that in lynx, the normal behavior, if source cache is
> turned off, is to discard the source after rendering, so that if the
> user wants to change the view using \, ', ", `, or * (did I miss any?),
> the source has to be reloaded.  Turning source cache on eliminates this
> need.  Other browsers don't have most of those features, with the exception
> of an option to view source, and although I haven't taken the time to
> check them out, I would be extremely surprised if they reload the source
> when using this feature, even if the server tells the browser not to cache
> the document, simply because this isn't the same thing as caching the
> document.

FWIW, there are times when Netscape 4 will obey a no-cache pragma from a
CGI script to the extent that when your default is not to load images, if
you request an image then the document will disappear and be replaced
with the "expired POST data" message.  Same with viewing the source.

That's not something to recommend it, of course.

imc