Re: lynx-dev Lynx-2.8.5-dev.16 anomaly

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx-2.8.5-dev.16 anomaly
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 13:34:32 -0700

Patrick Ash wrote:

> When going to the following page and entering text in the entry
> field, I get an error 400 - Bad Request. The page then displays "The
> parameter is incorrect".
>
>   http://www.pricewatch.com/toolbartopn.htm
>
> This only happens whenh I use multiple words for the search. Placing
> a single word into the text field will result in a correct search.
> Quoting the string of multiple words also results in the 'bad
> request' error.
>
> Looking back, the problem seems to have occurred between dev.14 and
> dev.15. This is also the only such site where I have observed the
> problem. Google, Altavista, and others do not show this behavior. It
> is present on dev.15 and dev.16, compiled on OS/2 with ncurses-5.3.

This happens for me with ancient Lynx (ummm, looks like it's
2.8.4dev.20); and with old Netscape (4.7.x) and (if I remember right
from browsing at home) Opera 7.10 for Windows.  If you use commas
instead of spaces ("cpu,2.8ghz" rather than "cpu 2.8ghz"), it searches
successfully.

I'm pretty sure the fault is mostly in pricewatch's search engine.  Its
parsing of the form submission results is weak.